Escape the stresses of everyday life and explore Owhaoko… challenge yourself - find yourself
A privilege available to only a few, we welcome guests to fly in and stay at our new Whare,
Te Whare Ruruhau, perched on the hillside high above the Mangamingi River valley.
Built in 2015 to accommodate a maximum of six guests, Te Whare Ruruhau provides a genuine New Zealand wilderness experience.
Walk in the footsteps of warriors who have travelled these lands for hundreds of years…
Discover rare flora and fauna…
Breathe pure mountain air and swim in fresh alpine streams…
Observe genuinely wild animals in their natural habitat…
Enjoy genuine silence and peace in the remote New Zealand bush.
Our Explore Owhaoko experience allows you to be as adventurous, or as relaxed, as you wish. You will return from your Owhaoko experience recharged and restored. Our two night, three day package includes;
- A scenic helicopter flight from Poronui to the new Whare
- Lunch on arrival, and then time to explore the stunning landscape of Owhaoko.
- A three course meal , prepared by your guide and host, Brent Pirie
- Star gazing and story telling
- A hearty cooked breakfast to prepare you for a day of exploring
- A two hour walk to the Owhaoko waterfall, complete with gourmet picnic
- Relaxation time in the afternoon before your three course evening meal
- Breakfast on the deck at the Whare overlooking the valley
- Your choice of flying directly back to Poronui, or walking 5kms down the Ngaruroro River valley for lunch before being collected by Helisika and flown back to Poronui.
- For the more adventurous and accomplished hiker, you can walk the 20km track back to Poronui.
The Whare sleeps six, with a king bed (or twin-single beds) in one room, and four single bunks in the second bedroom. Whilst rustic in nature, the Whare offers a more luxurious stay than traditional bush huts or cabins. Crisp linen sheets, fresh coffee, hot showers and gourmet treats await our guests at the Whare.
Your guide, Brent Pirie, is one of Taupō’s most accomplished outdoor tour guides. Brent is a wonderful chef and owner of a local iconic restaurant, and has a huge passion for sharing the New Zealand ‘great outdoors’ with both international visitors and kiwis. He will share with you stories of this majestic land, show you unspoilt scenery that will truly take your breath away, and prepare you a knockout cocktail to enjoy under the canopy of an ancient beech tree forest!
Our Explore Owhaoko package including helicopter flights, meals, accommodation and dedicated guide, is $5815 incl GST for two people for 2 nights/3 days ($2907.50 per person) or $7670 for three people for 2 nights/3 days ($2556.67 per person).
We can tailor packages to suit your needs and group size. Please complete the enquiry form below and we’ll be in touch soon to discuss your Explore Owhaoko experience.